Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Congratulations, you succeeded at naming your book

Yesterday night I innocently stopped by a Barnes & Noble, and quickly discovered that it was a mistake for the following reasons:
1. I really enjoy reading and bookstores and buying books.
2. I don't have time for reading.
3. I don't have money to buy books.
4. When I read good books I turn into an obsessive, antisocial curmudgeon until the book is finished.

Most of the books didn't capture my attention because the staff picks and bestsellers are all getting more Twilight-ish qualities, so I didn't think I was in too much danger.  But as I browsed, I found a book in the young adult section that I'd heard was good from a couple people.  It's Looking for Alaska by John Green.

Dear Mr. Green,
Congratulations, sir, you have succeeded at naming your book.
I am definitely a cover-judger, so if your book had a lame name I would have never picked it up.
But you chose a good title, so I opened it and read a random page for about 15 seconds.
And now Barnes & Noble has my $10, and you have whatever percentage you make from that.
I'm really enjoying this book.  You're good at writing too.
<3/Laura

I don't look at books with dumb names.  I only read The Hunger Games because I wanted to know what a dang hunger game was, and that turned out to be fantastic.  But I'm sure there are plenty of great books with bad titles too.

I've been reading Looking for Alaska like a crazy person since I bought it, and I really like it so far.  This book caused me to get only 2 hours of sleep last night, and after I finish this post I intend to read until my eyes won't stay open anymore.  That'll probably give me like 2 hours tonight.  And I have my economics midterm tomorrow.

Have a fantastic night!
<3/Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment